Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Day I Reslized I Was an Adult

So, Last week Mr. Bee and I were called into the bank to discuss insurance, Life Insurance. It was a rather depressing chat to a very over-enthusiastic bank manager about what we would do if one of us was injured, disabled or dead (Scary stuff!)
After we went through all of our options (and the not-so-cheap $$$$ to go along with them) we were left alone to fill out some paperwork.
All of a sudden we just looked at each other and went Whoa! When did we reach a point in out lives where we need life insurance? Surely this was only for middle age people who have the beginnings of grey hair and prefer expensive red wine over beer!
It slowy started dawning on me how much our lives have changed in the past year and a half. First we got engaged in January 08, then 6 months later we decided to start looking into building a house (in a good location for schools and parks for our future kids as opposed to close to great pubs and clubs!). Then the wedding took over our whole lives with invitation selection and making sure Aunty Sally isnt sitting with Uncle Bob.
Before we got married we talked about starting a family but it always seemed so far away and although I was exited, I felt kind of detatched from it because it was something I had no experience with, even though we have lots of family and friends with kids.
After the wedding we started planning TTC in earnest; making sure we had PHI, enough savings to cover me not working (and the insane amount of things babies seem to need). We paid off all of our credit cards, got a mortgage, a new (baby friendly) car and started making sure all of our affairs are in order.
Our Days off together are now spent shopping for new furniture, selecting the exact shade of white for the walls and planning dinners for the week. 2 years ago we would have been spending all day in bed eating icecream and meeting friends for a few lunchtime beers.
I have always been an ambitious person but terrible with finances but now I actually find myself avoiding shoe shopping in favour of more savings and love the feeling of being financially secure and knowing how things are going to work out!
3 years ago I remember sitting around with some of my besties over a bottle of champagne talking about all of the things we wanted to achieve before we turned 30. At that piont 30 seemed like a long way away! now that we are 26-29 years old, almost all of those aims we had have been achieved with time to spare!
So I guess the moral of this story is, one day you will wake up and although you still feel like sixteen year old most of the time, you can handle the tough stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment